Processes need to be defined based on the type of threat observed. Broadly speaking, these break down into the three areas associated with threats to customers, to the company’s assets and threats to reputation association with community perception. These will require processes to address the following in particular:
- Brand abuse – what constitutes a trademark violation, traffic diversion or other unauthorized association; who within the organization needs to be contacted; how to respond to an attack.
- Pre-determined response strategies to attacks on your reputation for your Public Relations, Investor Relations, Marketing and Call Center functions.
- Security & fraud response to identity theft attacks, both from a process and resources standpoint, as well as those from interaction with Investor Relations and/or Public Relations.
Through the implementation of a formal monitoring system, threats to rights, revenues and reputation can be reported to the appropriate stakeholders in a timely fashion. The key benefit is that stakeholders are alerted to the impact of brand infringements on their respective functional areas. These alerts should act as triggers for intervention, either at the policy, process, or technology level. Rules of engagement need to be in place and understood in order to then ensure such intervention is conducted effectively. To this end, BrandProtect offers the following services:
- Rapid response to deal with all forms of identity theft attacks
- Cease and Desist capabilities:
- Automated system tailored to address specific infractions
- Social Media Engagement:
- Subject matter expertise in-house and via partner
- For employees and customers'
- Capturing of necessary data to assist with litigation support
Further, key internal stakeholders should meet on a regular basis (we recommend monthly) to discuss relevant internet reputation management issues. These internal stakeholders should be prepared to drive internal training and implement internet reputation management policies within the organization.
By following this roadmap to establish long-term policies, strategies and processes involving cross-functional disciplines, organizations will be able to minimize the damages resulting from online criminal activity, intellectual property rights abuses and defamatory discussion.